Mark Vonnegut


"Writing was a spiritual exercise for my father, the only thing he really believed in."





— Mark Vonnegut

American Writer


1947 -








Writing for me is a spiritual exercise.  I did not realize until I read an essay a year ago in which Mark Vonnegut talks about his father, Kurt, one of my favorite authors.  The quote opened for me the door into why I have spent 35 years writing without fame or fortune.  Since I rejected organized religion at age 18, writing became the spiritual road I walked.  Writing gave my soul the strength necessary to face the traumas of this world.  I was called to be a preacher but I could not preach until I first cleansed my soul and made it strong through writing.  The writing is what makes me whole, gives meaning to my life, and keeps me believing even when I feel there is nothing left to live for.  Here is a short poem I wrote a year ago today.








May your heart


be fluent





in the languages


spoken by God





that you


may understand





the healing power of His love.






You have read this article American Writer / Beliefs / Cleansing / father / GOD / Heal / language / life / Mark Vonnegut / Reflection / soul / Spirit / Spiritual / Writer / Writing with the title Mark Vonnegut. You can bookmark this page URL http://gem-vita.blogspot.com/2010/09/mark-vonnegut.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Mark Vonnegut"

Post a Comment