Dorothy Fadiman


"Each of us is an artist, capable of conceiving and creating a vision from the depths of our being."












American Filmmaker











I believe that every person is capable of creating artistic works.  Some of us may have had our creative impulses damaged as a child by either a parent, a teacher or another child.  Someone somewhere made fun of something we created.  I know I have had those people in my life, but for some reason I kept going.  In fifth grade, I was given the opportunity to write about my class for the weekly newspaper.  Our small town newspaper published a page or two of articles written by school children.  My first article was criticized by the editor as be too much like advertising.  My headlines were too bold.  I was writing ads not journalism.  I never seriously wrote for a newspaper again.





When I was a junior in high school I started writing poetry as a way to express my feelings.  When I was a senior, I submitted a paper composed solely of my poetry in a social studies class.  My English teacher asked me why I had not showed her my poetry.  I had no answer for her.





I believe inside each of us is a need to find an outlet for our creativity.  For some that might be sewing, or cooking, or fixing cars.  For others, our creativity finds its outlet in writing, drawing, painting, singing or acting.  Unfortunately, naysayers have blocked our creative impulses and we must learn to open our creative channels.





Here are clips from one of Dorothy Fadiman's films: Reclaiming Their Voice, Saving the Petroglyphs: Teaser.













You have read this article American Filmmakers / Creative Expression / creativity / Discovery / Dorothy Fadiman / Encouragement / Obstacles / Vision / Voices with the title Dorothy Fadiman. You can bookmark this page URL http://gem-vita.blogspot.com/2011/08/dorothy-fadiman.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Dorothy Fadiman"

Post a Comment